Department of Chemical Engineering
The Department of Chemical Engineering at the Faculty of Technology and Metallurgy, University of Belgrade has a long standing tradition in education and research in various fields of chemical engineering.
The undergraduate and graduate programs are based on providing fundamental understanding of physical, chemical, and biochemical processes applied in engineering design and interdisciplinary perspectives on chemical technology. The aims are to meet the standards of the world leading schools in chemical engineering, apply novel methodologies in education and follow the novel trends in chemical technology.
The Department of Chemical Engineering offers a number of undergraduate, elective and graduate courses in the following areas:
- Transport phenomena and unit operations. Variety of basic and advanced courses covering fluid mechanics, momentum, mass and heat transfer, transport phenomena in dispersed and multiphase systems, unit operations with the unit operations laboratory, and separation processes.
- Thermodynamics. Basic course on thermodynamics for the 2nd year students and special courses on chemical engineering thermodynamics, biochemical thermodynamics, energy management and advanced thermodynamics for students of different specializations.
- Numerical methods, mathematical modeling and simulation. Basic courses on numerical methods for engineers, mathematical modeling, computer programming, as well as several advanced courses on modeling and optimization, all realized in Matlab or/and Fortran.
- Process dynamics and control. Basic and advanced courses on process dynamics and control, supplemented with laboratory practice and dynamic simulations in Matlab.
- Process and plant design. Several courses on equipment and process plant design in chemical, biochemical, pharmaceutical, and environmental engineering aided with simulations in ChemCad, ChemShare Design, and SuperPro Designer.
- Bioreactors, biochemical, pharmaceutical, and biomedical engineering. Elective and advanced courses on special topics in specific bioreactor design and operation, and transport phenomena in biochemical, pharmaceutical, and biomedical engineering.
These courses are offered to students of Chemical Engineering as well as to students of other specializations at the Faculty.
In the course of their Diploma Thesis projects, which are final requirements for undergraduate studies, the students take part in the ongoing research at the Department. Some of these projects are performed in collaboration with partners from industry or with other schools, research centers or universities from Serbia and Europe (e.g. Eindhoven University of Technology in Netherlands, BASF, Germany, Max-Planck Institute in Magdeburg, Germany, ETH Zurich, Switzerland, Texas A&M at Qatar, etc.).
Graduates in chemical engineering are prepared to work in different branches of chemical process industry (basic chemistry, petrochemical industry and refineries, pharmaceutical industry, food industry, etc.) as process engineers, R&D engineers, in environmental control and supervision and management, as well as to continue education in graduate (Master’s and Ph.D.) programs at our Faculty or at relevant schools in Europe, America, Australia.
The research activities at the Department of Chemical Engineering cover various areas of chemical engineering: transport phenomena in complex-flow, heterogeneous and multi-component systems, heat and mass transfer, separation processes, thermodynamics of multi-component systems, energy management, mathematical modeling of reaction and separation systems, process dynamics and control, process intensification, bioreactors and cell/tissue cultures, pharmaceutical and biomedical engineering, and. This diversity of interests provides active involvements of graduate students in traditional chemical engineering research extended to exciting new areas of science and technology.
The research is carried out through realization of numerous fundamental as well as applied projects funded by national institutions, various partners from industry and international research programs (EU programs FP7, Horizon 2020 and Eureka, NPRP program of Qatar Foundation, etc.).
The applications of research conducted at the Department of Chemical Engineering range from chemical process industry, petrochemical industry, environmental engineering to pharmacy and medicine. Broad scientific collaborations with a number of universities and research centers in Europe, USA and Canada have been established including Columbia University, USA; Oregon State University, USA; Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands; Delft University of Technology, Netherlands; Max-Planck Institute in Magdeburg, Germany; Rice University, USA; ENITIAA, Nantes, France; Sintef, Norway; University of Pennsylvania, USA, University of Ottawa, Canada, Texas A&M at Qatar, etc.
You can watch the video related to the activities at the department on the link:
- проф. др Бојана Обрадовић
- проф. др Бранко Бугарски
- проф. др Емила Живковић
- проф. др Ивона Радовић
- проф. др Менка Петковска
- проф. др Мирјана Кијевчанин
- проф. др Невенка Бошковић-Враголовић
- проф. др Никола Никачевић
Асистент доктор наука
Виши научни сарадник
- др Андреа Осмокровић
- др Горица Иваниш
- др Дивна Мајсторовић
- др Јелена Вуксановић
- Лука Живковић
- др Никола Грозданић