Department of Metallurgical Engineering
Department of Metallurgical Engineering consists of five laboratories, counting about 10 members of teaching/educational staff running under-graduate, master and doctoral studies within the following study programs: Metallurgical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Chemical Engineering and Engineering of Environmental Protection. In the past twenty years, graduate and doctoral studies within Metallurgical Engineering study program have also been organized in English language. The significant scientific potential enabled a broad research work of both fundamental and applied type, showing up through the number of international and national publications or technological solutions/improvements in metallurgical companies. A short survey of laboratories, teaching staff and research activities are listed below:
1. Laboratory of Extractive Metallurgy was formed from the Department of non-ferrous metallurgy and the Department of Metallurgy of iron and steel established in 1958., and 1970. respectively. Teaching is performed through the theoretical study of physical and chemical fundamentals and understanding the essence of reaction requirements through principles and criteria of process engineering. Through courses Steel metallurgy and Metallurgy of special steels, special attention is given to the industrial economy of steel through monitoring of structural changes in the organization, management and macroeconomic position of the steel industry. Within the Theory of metallurgical processes areas of kinetic and thermodynamic principles were specifically developed. In addition to teaching activities, Department from its beginning until today paid special attention to the scientific and professional work. Members of the Department have participated, either as leaders or collaborators in the development of a large number of research projects, technological studies, the main and preliminary designs, reviews, audits, etc. In the field scientific and professional work, Department has cooperated with the most important companies in the field of metallurgy and its related companies, as well as with research institutions in this field. As a result of theoretical and experimental research, a number of scientific papers dealing with the kinetic principles of complex heterogeneous processes have been derived such as: reduction of the oxides and sulphides, leaching of metals from various materials, material chlorination and sulfurization of various raw materials as well as the kinetics of other processes. In addition, as a result of the extensive work of the Department staff, various scientific papers in the field of metals recycling and environmental protection within a field of metallurgy, has been published. Since its foundation Department has realized extensive cooperation with leading companies from the field of ferrous and non-ferrous metallurgy, both, domestic and international, such as: Sirmium Steel ltd., Metal Fer ltd., US Steel, RTB-Bor, Kombinat Trepča, Zorka-Šabac, Monbat PLC., Elixir Group ltd., Aluminum Plant Podgorica, Copper and Aluminum Mill Sevojno, Zajača Smelter, Tehnogas Beograd, INOS Beograd, Magnohrom Kraljevo, Lead and zinc smelter Titov Veles, REC-EE-O ltd., Mg Serbien Baljevac, EPS, Energoprojekt Belgrade, SGS Serbia, SC TRS Welded Structure Romania, Cleanpart GmbH Germany, Nekk International Group, Russia, Sintef, Norway, etc.
2. Laboratory of Metal Casting research activities generally include the development of new materials resistant to abrasive wear and impact loads, meeting the requirements of metallurgy, mining, geology and the paper cellulose industry; Castings resistant to aggressive environments in the chemical industry; Implementation of the new technological procedures in the production of automobile parts based on the multicomponent Al-alloys and application of metal casting technologies with volatile moulds.
Courses: Metallurgical Engineering: Fundamentals of metals solidification, Mechanical testing of metals, Metal Casting and Tools Modeling, Special techniques of metal casting, Wear resistance materials (Undergraduate studies); Solidification of metals, Mechanical testing of metals – Quality control, Rapid Prototyping and Use of Computers in Metalcasting (Master studies); Solidification of metals, Physico-chemical processes in the contact zone of the metal-mold, Use of computers in simulation of the metalcasting processes (Doctoral studies); Materials Engineering: Casting of metallic materials (Undergraduate studies); Solidification of metals, Wear resistance materials (Master studies)
3. Laboratory of Metallurgical Engineering. Scientific and research experience is focused on: transport phenomena in metallurgy and materials processing, fuels and combustion, furnaces in metallurgy, refractories, energy efficiency in metallurgy, environmental protection, rational design. Lab ME is focused on development of basic and applied research, as well as eqiupment selection for metallurgical processes.
Courses: Undergraduate: Transport phenomena in Metallurgical Processes, Metallurgy of iron and steel, Measuring and process control in metallurgy, Special steels and alloys Combustion and Furnaces in Metallurgy, Refractories, Energy efficiency in Metallurgy; Master: Transport phenomena in Metallurgical Processes-Selected chapters, Metallurgy of iron and steel-Selected Topics, Special steels and alloys, Metallic materials in medicine, Furnaces and equipment in metallurgy, Theory and processes of combustion, Refractories: properties and application;
Doctoral: Transport phenomena in materials processing, Surface engineering, Materials for high temperature applications, Furnaces and reactors in metallurgy;
Equipment: optical microscope with additional equipment (camera and software for image analysis), device for ultrasonic cavitation erosion testing, pH measurements device, balances, hardware for data acquizition.
4. Laboratory of Physical Metallurgy is one of the leading for materials in Serbia. Teaching activity: education of engineers in the fundamentals of the solid state processing of metallic materials, as a basis for metal processing technologies. Research is devoted to experimental and theoretical programs having the general aims of contributing to the fundamental understanding of the solid state and of the application of basic knowledge to the development of new or (and) improved materials for technological purposes.
Courses: Structure of Materials; Phase Transformations; Physics of Strength and Plasticity; Heat Treatment; Welding, Materials Selection and Safety Design; Fracture Mechanics.
5. Laboratory of Metal Forming Teaching activities are related to mechanics and metallurgy of metal forming: fundamental and advanced aspects of mechanical and deformation behavior of materials under different stress states, strain hardening, plastic instability and formability limits of the materials. Theoretical and practical aspects of deformation processing of metals and alloys during conventional methods of plastic deformation: rolling, extrusion, drawing and sheet metal forming, as well as during non-conventional severe plastic deformation processes, which include understanding of the complex relations between forming process and the microstructure of metals and also between the microstructure and mechanical properties. Since the modern metal industry requires thermo-mechanical processing that leads to a product with optimal properties, our research interests are focused on the thermo-mechanical processing parameters - microstructure - properties relations for different materials (Cu-Zn, Al-Li, Al-Mg alloys, etc), deformation behavior of sheet materials, manufacturing of multilayer/sandwich sheet metallic materials (by rolling, bonding, accumulative roll bonding), etc.
Courses: Metallurgical Engineering: Undergraduate: Mechanics and deformation behavior of metals; Deformation processing of metals; Aluminium alloys – Properties and Application; Master: Mechanics and Metallurgy of Metal Forming; Materials Engineering: Undergraduate: Mechanical Metallurgy; Packaging Materials; Processing properties and Application of metallic materials; Master: Packaging metallic materials; Aluminium alloys – Properties and Application;
PhD: Deformation processing of metals – advanced course; Mechanical behavior of materials; Severe plastic deformation of metals;
Equipment: Laboratory rolling mill and hydraulic sheet metal testing machine (for stretching and deep drawing testing) equipped with data acquisition system; wire drawing bench; furnaces for heat treatment; hardness tester; ear measuring instrument; electrical conductivity measuring instrument; stereo microscope; water bath; equipment for electropolishing and etching; electromechanical tensile/compressive testing machine with high temperature chamber;
- проф. др Жељко Камберовић
- проф. др Карло Раић
- проф. др Миљана Поповић
- проф. др Мирјана Филиповић
- проф. др Ненад Радовић
- проф. др Татјана Волков-Хусовић
Редовни професор у пензији
- Небојша Стајић - Машински техничар